Back in Paul the apostle’s day, there was a group of folks (Gnostics) that felt anything physical was less spiritual and they were pushing for no sex, even among married folks. In other circles, there was a lot of sexual immorality going on.
Paul is trying to address all this sexual mess in 1 Corinthians, where basically he’s saying that sex belongs in marriage and spouses need to take care of each other’s sexual wants and needs.
But because of the temptation to sexual immorality, each man should have his own wife and each woman her own husband. The husband should give to his wife her conjugal rights, and likewise the wife to her husband. For the wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does. Likewise the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does. 1 Corinthians 7:2-4
Let’s take today and talk to God about His plan for sex in marriage.
I’d like to add, what I consider to be, some general biblical guidelines for sex in marriage as a word picture.
Your marriage is like a playground. The fence around the playground is the collection of guidelines that God has given us about sex. What happens on your marriage playground is about your choices and preferences as a couple. It’s a safe place to share with the love of your life.
THE FENCE (some biblical guidelines)
- We are to abstain from immoral sex. (unmarried sex, adultery, homosexuality, bestiality, incest, etc.)
- We are to have sex only in marriage; one man with one woman.
- We are to lovingly meet the legitimate sexual needs and wants of our spouse.
- We need to avoid anything which can cause serious harm. (physically, emotionally, spiritually, etc.)
- We should never push our spouse to compromise their beliefs.
- We are not to be controlled by anything.
WHAT’S ON YOUR PLAYGROUND?
~ anything you both want that will benefit your sense of intimacy and oneness as a couple.
If you’d like to discuss this, please feel free to comment.